Saturday, January 10, 2009

Addiction... what more is there to say about it?

This photo was taken of me in December of 2005.


My heart sure goes out to one particular friend tonight. She had been clean and sober for almost two years unfortunately she's been going back out and using for the past few months now. Tonight I talked with her, she's clean right now but hasn't slept in four days! It's hard to fathom going back to something that wants to kill you, the drugs and alcohol steal your heart and soul, not to mention one's physical health.

I think that tonight I'm going to post what I looked like three years ago as a reminder to myself exactly where I came from. I know where I'm at in life today and it's easy to lose sight of the past, so many do.


The first thing that I hear in the rooms of AA from people that keep going back out using or that have been out drinking is that they've quit going to meetings. Today I listen to others experiences, I am not going to quit my meetings, as my friend did, I don't want to know what might happen. I don't know if I'm going to be going to meetings for the rest of my natural life, does this matter to me right now? Hell no, I'm here today feeling great physically, mentally I'm good or at least I like to think I am :-) , emotionally I know where I stand, spiritually I feel in tune so just for tonight I am going to thank my Creator for my blessings and for my sobriety. I will also keep my friend in my prayers and call her tomorrow, hopefully she will have been able to sleep.

And this is me today


December 2008

This is me, I have severe cirrhosis. In 2005 I had kidney failure, congestive heart failure, my gastrointestinal tract was bleeding, I was severely jaundiced, there were a few other things wrong with me back then, so much happened that I don't recall it all. It wasn't until I was in a ladies recovery house in 2006 that I became aware I had been in palliative care, all of this was 100% alcohol related. Today I have three years clean and sober and I love my new life and my choices today.

No comments:

Post a Comment