Monday, January 12, 2009

Raising someone else's child

I have Cheryl here with me, my thirteen year old niece, and as challanging as this can be I am having quite the experiences with this. Yesterday I noticed that when Derek was with us, Cheryl was seeking attention. She talked nonstop, interupped my conversations with my son quite often yet she was only wanting to partake in conversation. I see that she is lonely, I'm going to try to have to find a bit more time to spend some quality time with her. I'm here, but that's just it, I'm here. I am working on homework, resting, talking on the phone or I'm on my comp.

At least since Cheryl has come home after the holidays we both seem to have more tolerance, I am thinking that she knows not to push me too far as she was in the past. I'm quite sure that me calling the police and emergency child services had it's part in this change of attitude. She is also very happy that her Mom is not drinking, something that I am so proud of my sister for doing! Maybe while Cheryl was away on holidays she relized that it's not that bad living with me here, I don't know what is causing the changes but I do know that I love the fact that we haven't had a huge blow since she's been home, almost two weeks now. One day at a time!

Now that I have this awareness, I am going to have to attempt to make a conscious effort to give the girl what she needs, love and attention. How I am going to juggle my busy schedule, I'm not too sure quite yet but as they say, where there's a will there's a way.

Maybe tonight, if I am done all of my reading, she can make some jam! I am going to have to get this huge pail of honey canned one of these fine days, hopefully before the weekend so that I can give it to my sister and as I am doing this Cheryl can be busy with the jam making process. We could use some good homemade jam, not too sweet though. Even Cheryl agreed that the jam her and her Mom bought at the farmers market was too sweet.

Today, I'd best get after reading the necessary assigned texts, first off I would like to get through the one on oppression, do the chapter at least and make some sense of it. I would also like to ride my exercise bike for at least 20 mins. today, maybe do both at the same time and kill two birds with one stone!

No comments:

Post a Comment